We all have that one friend who talks trivia in midst of a game, and we absolutely adore him for his ability to turn awkward silences into entertaining moments. Most often these conversations get really interesting because those things are usually never discussed outside the game arena. Do you want to be that guy saying interesting facts about Indian rummy, show-off that you know about rummy? Then here are ten quick facts about rummy that you should know about.
- Nobody has been able to find on which century or at which place the game of rummy got originated.There were various old card games like Conquian, Mah-jongetc. which are theorised to be the ancestor of rummy by different people.
- Nobody has any idea who took this survey, or how, but it is claimed that Rummy was played as a family game in early 1960’s till 70’s and the consolidated playtime was greater than that of all other board and card games combined.
- Just like its history, there are many variations to the game in different parts of the world. And one of them is Indian marriage(Yes, that’s right).
- “Rum” is British slang for “odd” or “peculiar” or “queer” – perhaps their first reaction on learning the particular mechanics of the new game.Some have suggested that the game was originally played for rum, with the loser of a hand buying the next round.
- There is a reason why people try to associate rummy with alcohol (rum), but surprising as it might seem, gin rummy and 500 Rum has nothing to do with that.
- In the previous years of rummy, only rich people could afford to play rummy (pretty discriminative) and the reason was the nature of the cards. Each card was hand painted!
- Edmond Hoylewas a writer best known for his works on the rules of card games.Hoyle expanded his manuscript on the rules of the then card game called whist and sold it for the high price of one guinea (The guinea was a coin of approximately one quarter ounce of gold that was minted in Great Britain between 1663 and 1814) and later sold the rights to whist to bookseller Francis Cogan for 100 guineas, an enormous sum for a small pamphlet.
- Stuart Errol “Stu” Ungar(1953 –1998) was one of the greatest professional poker, blackjack and gin rummy players ever, who won a local gin tournament at the age of 10. He dropped out of school to play gin rummy in the 1960s full-time to help support his mother and sister after his father died. Then he gave up playing gin rummy and eventually took up poker because he became a marked man. Nobody wanted to play him in gin. He won or finished high in so many gin tournaments that several casinos asked him to not play in them because many players said they would not enter if they knew Ungar was playing.
- Shuffling is a procedure used to randomize a deck of playing cards. While cut, to ensure that the shuffler has not manipulated the outcome.
- Here are a few simple but awesome quotations that you can dramatically leak through to your friends while playing the next round:
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or
Others….. Charles lamb.
When the cards are dealt, I just want to destroy people…Stu Ungar
There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness….Dave Barry
I must complain the cards are ill shuffled, till I have a good hand….Jonathan Swift
Cards are war, in disguise of a sport….Charles lamb