Stainless steel is extensively used in various sectors because of its unique features like strength, durability, luster and above all corrosive resistance. This alloy is used to prevent further corrosion of the products. This metal is used for various purposes in our day to day life. Mainly the stainless steel products are extensively used in domestic sectors like in the kitchen because of its various properties like cleanliness, water proofing, rust resistance, and corrosion resistance and above all its resistance to rust. The stainless steel sheets are also commonly known as cold rolled products that are available in the following finishes like 2B, No.4 with PVC and BA with PVC. However, there are many companies that offer a diverse range of stainless steel Flat Rolled products that are available in plates, sheets, and coils.
The stainless steel metal has a universal appeal because of the variety of stainless steel finishes available in the market. However, this article aims to discuss the different types of stainless steel sheet finishes. The details are discussed below: (Information Credit – http://www.eurosteel.co.za/index.php/stainless-steel-decorative-finishes/index.html)
- 2B stainless steel Finishes
- 2B finish is a bright cold rolled finish which is produced following the same method of 2D finish. The only difference lies in the final light cold rolling pass of a No 2B finish that is generally done using the polished rolls.
- This type of finish creates a more reflective finish which is quite similar to a cloudy mirror.
- However, this kind of finish varies according to the basic requirements of the clients.
- 2B is the most economical of all types of finishes and it is chemically pickled for a smoother surface.
- This type of stainless steel sheet finish is generally produced in the mill and it can’t be matched after fabrication.
- This type of finish often needs plastic films protection until the final clean-up and commissioning is done.
- Bright Annealed (BA)
- The BA finishes is generally seen in the domestic products like the interior part of dishwashers or washing machines.
- The mirror like surface is also used in making road mirrors where, precise images are not required.
- This type of finish is highly corrosion resistant because of its smoother surface.
- 4 type finishes
- This type of finish is obtained after treating the product with a 150-grit mesh abrasive that is usually brighter than No.3 type but has directional grainy features.
- This type of finish is generally characterised by short but parallel polishing lines.
- Depending on the various requirements of the application the final finish can vary between 120 and 320 grit. Higher grit number produces finer polishing lines and the more reflective and superior finishes.
- This type of finish is used in variety of applications like architectural wall panels, Beverage equipment, Boat fittings, dairy equipment, elevator doors, and interiors.
However, achieving the right finish is a long process and it requires skilled technicians who are experienced in this field to achieve that perfect shine.