Welcome to the Mermaid House; one of Hampton, Virginia’s most historic homes! The “Mermaid House” is a remarkable Queen Anne Victorian style home built between 1895 and 1900. Part of the Victoria Boulevard Historic District, or Darling’s “Little England,” it boasts 3-stories, a classic weatherboard and shingle wood frame, a 3-bay porch with Tuscan columns, a turret, 3 turn-of-the-century stained glass windows, 2 gasolier light fixtures, 5 historic fireplaces, wood flooring, a working elevator, rose pattern shingles in the roof, and of course, a copper Mermaid weather vane over the turret.
The “Mermaid House” is currently listed for sale by Erin Melton, Associate Broker with RE/MAX Peninsula. As the team leader of The Melton Team, Erin is one of the most innovative and successful REALTORS in Hampton, VA. You can find an abundant amount of information about this home at TideHomes.com, the areas’ leading niche real estate site. This is not just one of the homes for sale in Hampton, VA, it’s so much more. Some of the unique features you can explore, are listed below:
- The family of the original owners lived in the house for 70 years! The new owners will only be the 5th owners of this amazing piece of history!
- In 2013 the entire home was restored from the new roof, new plumbing, wiring, bathrooms, updated kitchen, and a new paint job inside and out.
- Welcome guests into your foyer through two sets of solid oak 8’ double doors. The craftsmanship is truly remarkable.
- The “Mermaid House” boasts five custom fireplaces, with unique mantles and brass cover plates etched with ornate characters and scenes. All of the fireplaces are surrounded by irreplaceable Minton swag tiles.
- Over the parlor fireplace mantel, sits, The Success, written by the original home owners prior to their move to Hampton from Rocky Mount, OH. The Success was published in 1876 by the Library of Congress and will convey with the sale of home as gift from the current owners.
- One of the principle features of the first floor is the grand oak staircase with lovely newel posts and balustrades. The intermediate landing displays a breathtaking 5’ x 6’ stained glass window with faceted beveled glass, the largest of the 3 in the home.
- The master suite is a perfect blend old world style and new world sophistication. Relax in the claw-foot double slipper tub or jump in the spacious, glass enclosed shower before you jet off to work or play.
- The walk up attic, with plank flooring is spacious and holds the home’s most unique feature, its very own turret.
Prepare to step back in time and own a piece of American history. This is the home that everyone admires and holiday memories are made. Call The Melton Team today to become owner number five of the “Mermaid House”.
About the Owners:
Brian and Kelli Fort are only the fourth owners of the Mermaid House. They completely renovated the home in 2013, expecting future grandchildren to visit them there one day. Naval duty called otherwise, and so they hope the Mermaid House’s future owners will enjoy the home as much as they have for the past decade.
About the Listing Agent:
Erin Melton is an Associate Broker with RE/MAX Peninsula. Her team has sold nearly half a billion dollars in Virginia real estate. She specializes in working with sellers that are proud to find a new family for the home they’ve loved as well as buyers that are excited to purchase their next home. To set up a private showing, please have your Realtor give her a call, text or email. If you are not currently working with an agent, feel free to call direct at 757-784-1358 or visit http://tidehomes.com/listings/78-columbia-ave/