Laurel Canyon  is really a neighborhood within the Hollywood Hills. It was initially coded in the 1910’s, and grew to become an element of the town of La in 1923.

Similar to Topanga Canyon, community existence is centered on its central thoroughfare, Laurel Canyon apartments. Unlike other nearby Canyon neighborhoods, Laurel Canyon  has houses lining one for reds from the primary street the majority of the in place to Mulholland Drive. There are lots of side roads that branch from the primary gorge, but many of them aren’t through roads, reinforcing the self-contained nature from the neighborhood.

History

The Laurel Canyon area was inhabited by the local Tongva tribe of Native Californians before the arrival of the Spanish. A spring-fed stream that flowed year round provided water. It was that water that attracted Mexican ranchers who established sheep grazing on the hillsides in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. After the Mexican government was ejected, the area caught the attention of Anglo settlers interested in water rights. Around the turn of the 20th century, the area was subdivided and marketed as mountain vacation properties.

Between 1912 and 1918, a trackless electric trolley ran up the canyon from Sunset Boulevard to the base of Lookout Mountain Road where a road house served visitors. Travel to the newly subdivided lots and cabins further up the canyon was at first made on foot or by mule. As the roads were improved access was possible by automobile. Around 1920, a local developer built the Lookout Mountain Inn at the summit of Lookout Mountain and Sunset Plaza roads, which burned just a few years after opening.

One of the famous places in Laurel Canyon would be the vacation cabin house once of silent film star Tom Mix that later grew to become the place to find the Zappa clan, and the other (directly next door) that magician Harry Houdini resided in.

Laurel Canyon found itself a nexus of counterculture activity and attitudes in the 1960s, becoming famous as home to many of L.A.’s rock musicians, such as Frank Zappa, Jim Morrison of The Doors, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and Love. Joni Mitchell, living in the home in the Canyon that was immortalized in the song, “Our House”, written by her then-lover Graham Nash, would use the area and its denizens as inspiration for her third album, Ladies of the Canyon. That bohemian spirit endures today, and residents gather annually for a group photograph at the country market.