A Test Strategy – Selenium Web Driver
Automation technologies improve test coverage and yield higher quality products. They save thousands of manual test execution hours, signiﬁcantly reducing costs. Selenium Automation Framework is a customized framework developed using Selenium, a widely accepted web application automation tool. It shrinks test cycle times and related costs.
Selenium is a portable software testing framework for web applications. The tests can be written as HTML tables or coded in a number of popular programming languages. They can be run directly in most modern web browsers. Selenium can be deployed on Windows, Linux and Macintosh.
SELENIUM WEBDRIVER- A TEST STRATEGY
Selenium is an automation tool for Testing, which are collection of different tools for Automation Testing. Learn more at selenium training in Bangalore. Selenium is not just a single tool but a suite of software, each catering to different testing needs of an organization. It has four components.
- Selenium Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Selenium Remote Control (RC)
- Selenium Grid
Selenium Based Automation Regression Suite:
The below Selenium framework is a data driven solution consisting of:
- Driver scripts developed in Java.
- Test data provided in an Excel spreadsheet.
The Excel utility is developed in such a way that the URL based requests are dynamically created. While the driver code undertakes the following activities:
- Reads the data from request column in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Invokes the web browser and navigates to the URL based on the request.
- Validates the response returned via browser body against the expected value in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Updates the test case result in the spreadsheet.
Benefits of Selenium Framework:
- Preparing the test data and validating each scenario manually takes approximately 10 minutes.
- To prepare the data and validate 350 scenarios takes approximately 7 man days per resource. However, with the implementation of the recommended selenium framework the time is reduced to 1.5 hours (approximately).
- Selenium framework is easy to develop and the test cases can be maintained effortlessly, as all the test scenarios and test data are driven off the Excel spreadsheets. Find information on selenium at selenium training institute in Bangalore.
- This Selenium framework can be readily integrated with Continuous Integration (CI) build deployment process.
WebDriver is a tool for automating testing web applications, and in particular to verify that they work as expected. It aims to provide a friendly API that’s easy to explore and understand, which will help make your tests easier to read and maintain. It’s not tied to any particular test framework, so it can be used equally well with JUnit, TestNG or from a plain old “main” method.
This “Getting Started” guide introduces you to WebDriver’s Java API and helps get you started becoming familiar with it. Webdriver allows your test scripts to communicate directly to the browser, thereby controlling it from the OS level.
- To open source
- To use a certain programming language in designing your test case
- To test applications that are rich in AJAX-based functionalities
- To execute tests on the HtmlUnit browser
- Create scripts in Multi language (Java, perl, c# and phyton)
- Run the Script on different type of browser.
Advantages of Selenium Webdriver:
- Improved features & functionality which were not supported in the Selenium 1.0
- No need to start server prior to start executing scripts
- Added advantage to support for iPhone and Android testing
- It supports features like Page navigation, Drag-and-drop and AJAX-based UI elements
- Using WebDriver can easily find the coordinates of any object
- WebDriver is open source & it allows you to easily integrate with testing framework like JUnit or TestNG
- It provides the improved reliability between browsers
- For web application testing, it provides standard programming interface
- Here’s the process to execute the Selenium framework.
- Provide the API URL values in the Excel spreadsheet.
- Create a new spreadsheet for execution of reports.
- Include the sheet number in the ‘exeSheetNum’ variable.
- Add the execution report sheet number into the ‘reportSheetNum’ variable.
- Click on the ‘Run’ button on the NetBeans IDE.
- The NetBeans IDE automatically launches the ‘Internet Explorer’ browser and passes the URL value into the browser. Subsequently, it obtains the response value and compares it with the expected value, thereby displaying the results (PASS/FAIL).
- After successful execution of all the above steps, the execution reports are updated in the spreadsheet number mentioned in the Selenium framework.
TestNG and JUnit:
TestNG and JUnit are the mostly used frameworks in selenium webdriver for reporting the bugs in document format like excel sheet. JUnit is a unit testing framework for the Java programming language. JUnit has been important in the development of test-driven development. To execute Selenium WebDriver testing using JUnit we have to add JUnit annotations in your test. Using these two methods we can have the inputs from excel sheet and process the inputs and generate the output by selenium result to excel sheet.
Join Infocampus to get selenium training in Bangalore. Infocampus is a professional selenium training institute in Bangalore. Selenium training will be provided by an expert having 10+ yrs. of experience. For much more details on selenium classes contact 9738001024 or visit http://infocampus.co.in/best-selenium-testing-training-center-in-bangalore.html.