People have all witnessed it at some stage in our lifetimes – perhaps even caught the foul smell it if it turns out to be extremely horrible. Apparently, we are referring to pet and human urine getting deposited on carpets and rugs or even upholstery. Calgary pet owners who own carpeted floors and expensive furniture know this for sure.
Undoubtedly, urine contamination can typically be caused by a mishap, often from conceivably old age, some health issues, or merely an unfortunate case of a dysfunctional bladder – usually left sitting on our carpets, rugs, and upholstery for extended periods unnoticed.
While a few pet owners are convinced that their much-loved furry family friends would not commit any mistake, one would expect a handful of our household pets, however, relieve themselves from time to time anywhere in your home, typically in the living room. Considering that there is not necessarily an unpleasant odor, it can be quite hard to tell. After all, urines can smell differently.
As a homeowner, who has kids, pets, and elders at home, who would lapse on their toilet training once in a while, walking around the house for a urine contamination (and other water or liquid damage) is a must.This process can fairly be a straightforward task. If the spot is detected as soon as possible, the damage can usually be reduced using a homemade or store-bought carpet cleaner.
Then again, for more severe cases, your carpet may have to be removed from the floor to make sure the underlay and subfloors don’t accumulate most of the liquid and suffer from water or urine damage. You may hire professional carpet cleaning companies who can also help with rug cleaning or couch cleaning.
Although steam cleaning carpets is a good way to upkeep your floors, this may not be enough when you have urine or water damage and stains on your carpet. For new, smaller spots, you may try this simple hack:
- Soak up the urine stain with paper towels or a natural cotton washcloth. Squeeze vigorously into the stain to collect the most urine as possibly can from the carpet.
- Using equal amounts of white vinegar and water, mix a solution in a bowl, just enough amount so that it can get through to deep down into the carpet’s strands.
- Pour the solution onto the urine stain. Using a brush, work everything deeply into the carpet, scrubbing even harder. The vinegar will help to counteract the ammonia deposits in the urine.
- Using a dry paper towel, pressing firmly and blow into the urine stain. Sprinkle baking soda on the stain once dry.
- Combine a teaspoon of dishwashing soap with a half cup of hydrogen peroxide and apply to the stain. Scrub the urine spot and vacuum once dry.
If you have urine spots, stains, or any form of water damage in your carpets or upholstery, cleaning should not be delayed. You know you can always trust Alberta carpet cleaning experts to tackle the job. If you prefer local cleaning services, Calgary carpet cleaning pros can also come to your rescue.